The Causes And Symptoms Of Nail Polish Poisoning!

Nail polish poisoning occurs when a person either accidentally or intentionally consumes the nail polish. The exposure can be through the inhaling of the nail polish, skin, or with eye contact also. You should know that nail polish is a cosmetic product which issued for decorating and sometimes it is also used for protecting the nails of the person. They come in a vast variety of colors and shades. It contains a complex mix of chemicals.

can nail polish poison you

It is essential for you to understand that nail polish poisoning is an accidental or intentional intake that can lead to many issues. This condition is diagnosed based on the clinical history of the patient, a combination of the symptoms and the signs, and the extra tests. You might not be aware of the fact that nail polish poisoning is also known as nail polish toxicity.

Get To know About The Causes Of Nail Polish Poisoning!

Nail polish poisoning is caused by the ingestion of liquid nail polish. This exposure can be through the direct skin or with the inhaling upon with the help of vapors. In some cases, people chew the fingernails which have nail polish applied to them.
You should know that the nail polishes are made from organic solvents, and they might also contain plasticizers, pigments, and dyes also. In some of the reports, it is also mentioned that nail polish also comprises thickening agents and UV stabilizers. The formula of the nail polish is based on the use as well as the application of the nail polish. Some of the compounds which are found in nail polish are highly toxic for your health.

Know About The Signs And The Symptoms Of Nail Polish Poisoning!

It is essential for you to know that the signs and the symptoms of nail polish poisoning can be different from one person to another person. The symptoms can be mild in some cases and very severe in others.

A lot of systems of the body like the digestive system, respiratory system, nervous system, and urinary system might be affected by it. If you want to know about the signs and the symptoms, then you are suggested to take a look at the points which are mentioned below.

What Are The First Aid Options For Nail Polish Poisoning?

  • If there are no symptoms, then the individual is observed for a period of time in order to see the development of any kind of symptoms. The patient is given some water if he or she requests.
  • If an emergency occurs , then you should call the helpline number.
  • Remove the individual from the area of exposure in a careful way.
  • Take the individual to the hospital for treatment.

How Can A Person Prevent Nail Polish Poisoning?

Nail polish poisoning can be prevented in different ways. If you want to know about them, then have a look at the points listed below.
You should always follow the instruction before using any health, cosmetic, or household items.
It is advised to you that you should always keep your cosmetic item, medication, and other health care products in a place that is out of the reach of the children.
You need to beware of the basic first aid steps when it is the case of an emergency.
It is essential for you to know that you should not make the person vomit on your own without the guidance of the doctor. You should seek the mediate medical care emergency in this situation.

In addition to all of these, before heading to the hospital, you must know about the age of the person, weight, condition, product name and label, the time at which it was swallowed, and the amount in which it is swallowed. This information helps in determine nail polish poisoning and how to give proper treatment for the patients.

Leave a Comment